CART on Covid-19
Martin Nicholas
2020-03-23 11:06:15 UTC
"Our 2,000-mile network of canals, towpaths, reservoirs, docks and
river navigations remain open, but we strongly encourage people to stay
local and strictly observe social distancing measures."

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus
--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-***@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
March).

The Usenet - part of the free and open internet.
Martin Nicholas
2020-03-24 09:25:14 UTC
More, posted on the 23rd:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

The Usenet: Advert-free (but not spam-free) social media since 1980.
Martin Nicholas
2020-03-24 18:38:39 UTC
More, posted on the 24th:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-24-mar-2020

I'm a fan of the free and open internet - what's wrong with me?
MB
2020-03-25 08:25:10 UTC
Scottish Canals COVID19 details

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/news/coronavirus-update/
Martin Nicholas
2020-03-28 07:10:54 UTC
More, posted on the 27th:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-27-mar-2020

In it you’ll find:
1. Using the towpath.
2. When can I cruise?
3. Temporary suspension of Boat Safety Scheme examinations.
4. Contacting the Canal & River Trust.
5. Can I still get hold of pump-out cards and facilities keys?

The Usenet: Proof that social media didn't just begin with FB.
Martin Nicholas
2020-04-04 07:33:07 UTC
Updated:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-3-april-2020
--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-***@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
April).

Free Usenet posting accounts are available through:
http://www.eternal-september.org/
Martin Nicholas
2020-04-16 16:29:50 UTC
Boater's Update:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-16-april-2020

The free and open internet - use it or lose it.
Martin Nicholas
2020-05-11 09:52:05 UTC
"With Government expected to extend the lockdown period later today, we
are extending our suspension of the normal movement requirement to 18
April."

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-9-april-2020
--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-***@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout May).

A Usenet posting via: http://www.eternal-september.org/. If you find
their service useful, please make a donation.
Martin Nicholas
2020-05-11 09:54:29 UTC
Erratum. This is better:

"Coronavirus & boating update, 11 May 2020

Hello Boater!,

With the Government announcing a first step in lifting restrictions on
outdoor activities, and allowing people to drive to spend time outdoors
with members of the same household, from Wednesday, the Trust is
lifting any remaining restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats
though the Trust advises against travelling long distances unless it is
essential to do so. At this stage we continue to advise that boats
should only be used for minimal travel. Angling and watersports
(canoeing, Kayaking and SUP), for exercise, can also resume on
Wednesday and we are reviewing when we can restore navigation in light
of the new government advice. In the meantime, mooring exemptions are
extended by a further two weeks until 23 May. As you may have seen
before the weekend, we’ve created a survey to help us understand what
your plans are for boating after the lockdown. Thanks to the 4,000 or
so who’ve taken part but if you haven’t yet there’s still time. You’ll
find the survey here – it’ll only take a couple of minutes to complete.
As ever, we’ll be constantly reviewing, and updating, our FAQs as more
detail comes from government so do please regularly check back. Best
wishes, stay safe, Damian Kemp, Boating communications manager, Canal &
River Trust"

The Usenet: 40 years of social media.
Brian on Harnser
2020-05-11 21:17:45 UTC
Martin Nicholas formulated on Monday :
It was soon updated
Update: Monday 11 May
Last night the government announced the first steps in lifting
restrictions on outdoor activities and is now allowing people to drive
to spend time outdoors with members of the same household. Based on
this decision, from Wednesday 13 May we are lifting restrictions on
boat owners visiting their boats.

At this stage general navigation still isn’t permitted and boats should
only be used for minimal travel, for example for essential services or
repairs. Where visiting, people should expect to return home the same
day. We will be reviewing when we can restore navigation in light of
the new government advice. In the meantime, mooring exemptions are
extended by a further two weeks until Saturday 23 May.

Following government advice, angling and canoeing, kayaking and paddle
boarding for exercise, can resume from Wednesday 13 May, but this must
be on your own or with members of your household, and shouldn’t be for
long distances as navigation is still restricted. In all instances,
social distancing must be maintained at all times, keeping your
distance from both other people and moored boats.

Towpaths have remained open throughout the pandemic, with people
required to observe social distancing rules and taking extra care on
narrow sections. As more people return to work and are encouraged to
avoid public transport, we could see an increase in the use of
towpaths. Please keep moving, don’t congregate and stand aside to allow
others to pass, using the full width of the towpath. Once again, keep
your distance from other people and moored boats.

If you are a cyclist, please be aware of our towpath code. Remember
that pedestrians have priority, so always take it steady and be ready
to slow down to give way to pedestrians. Consider using an alternative
route away from the towpath for your exercise, especially as traffic on
most roads is much reduced.

Overall, our plea to everyone thinking of visiting our canals and river
navigations is to be mindful of others and act always with
consideration and respect.

For clarity, this does not apply on our Welsh canals where different
rules apply -
https://gov.wales/first-minister-wales-message-people-wales. The Welsh
Government is still applying the ‘stay at home, stay local’
regulations. We strongly advise that you regularly check its website
for updated information and certainly before planning to visit your
boat.
River Trust"
Martin Nicholas
2020-05-13 09:53:03 UTC
"Coronavirus & boating update, 13 May 2020

Hello Boater!,

When we were in touch yesterday we said that, along with other
navigation authorities, we would review when navigation might re-open
in light of the new Government advice. Government have issued
clarification this morning, 13 May.

We are now able to set out our approach to opening our navigation to
private boating in England. Please remember that social distancing
continues to be maintained, with only members of your household able to
go aboard your boat until further notice.

From today, Weds 13 May 2020
You may undertake short boating trips only from today – avoiding use of
locks and any staff-operated structures if possible – providing, as per
current government guidance, you do not stay away from home overnight
and return to your home mooring (where you have one).

From Saturday, 23 May:
Mooring exemptions will come to an end and our guidance for continuous
cruisers comes back in to force. This doesn’t mean that every boat
without a home mooring needs to move on this day, just that we’d expect
you to move off your current mooring within 14 days (i.e. by 6 June).
If you are in a high-risk group, and need to continue to shield or
self-isolate, then special arrangements can be agreed with your licence
support officer if you haven’t already told us.

From Monday, 1 June:
On this date, we anticipate that our navigations will re-open in full,
subject to some exceptions*, and you will be able to undertake longer
journeys. According to current Government guidance, those who do not
liveaboard should not stay overnight. We will seek further
clarification as to whether overnight stays will be permissible once
full navigation resumes.

*Please bear in mind that it will take time to get the entire network
fully operational, and booking for some passages and services will be
required. Some sections may be closed for a further period. Our website
will be updated with the details closer to the time.

Wales: If you or your boat is on a Welsh canal please follow the latest
advice which may be different from above.

Please stay safe and stay alert at all times.

A slogan-free post for a change.
Martin Nicholas
2020-05-20 05:47:24 UTC
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-19-may-2020

Topics:
oOo Only visit your boat if you can answer ‘yes’ to four questions
oOo Key boating milestones
oOo Boat Safety Scheme extension
oOO Keeping you up to date with things that may affect your boating

Cyber-diversity is as important as bio-diversity.
Martin Nicholas
2020-05-29 06:03:46 UTC
"From 1 June you will be able to undertake longer journeys. This update
sets out what you need to know as you start to cruise further
distances."

Bullet points:
o Things to know before commencing a longer journey on your boat after 1 June
o Boating in the North West.
o Using waterside services (showers, pump outs, bins etc.).
o Grass cutting.

Full details online:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-28-may-2020

The Usenet: Social media since 1980.
Martin Nicholas
2020-06-20 07:46:34 UTC
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-19-june-2020

Highlights:
1. Coronavirus and boating reminders.
2. Anderton Boat Lift to open 6 July.
3. Etc.
--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-***@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
June).

The Usenet: Join the conversation.
Martin Nicholas
2020-06-23 16:09:39 UTC
As you may have heard, the Government has today announced measures to
continue the easing of lockdown. Importantly, this means that from
Saturday 4 July all boaters in England will be able to stay overnight
on their boats.

MB
2020-06-23 18:31:06 UTC
The Caledonian Canal was closed for major works at Fort Augustus before
lockdown so they have that to complete before it can re-open. I think
the Forth & CLyde is in a similar position.

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/news/coronavirus-update/
MB
2020-07-14 21:22:14 UTC
The Caledonian Canal reopens next week.

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/news/the-caledonian-canal-reopens-for-sea-to-sea-transits/

"Scottish Canals is pleased to confirm that the Caledonian Canal will be
re-open from 22nd July 2020, and we look forward to welcoming our
boating customers back to cruising the canals."

The hours of operation seem to be changing when they reopen.

Martin Nicholas
2020-07-01 09:05:42 UTC
Subject: Boating in the north west update 30 June 2020
** No boating in Leicester
Hi Boater!,
Following the announcement from the Secretary of State for Health &
Social Care (29 June 2020) regarding the reintroduction of lockdown
measures in Leicester, we are issuing new guidance on use of the
waterways in the city and surrounding areas during this period.
In line with Government advice we are asking leisure boaters to stop
all non-essential travel into and through the city with immediate
effect.
In order to help those who live-aboard, the Trust is suspending the
requirement to move every 14 days on moorings between Wanlip (Bridge
18) and Newton Harcourt (Bridge 52). The suspension will be kept
under review in line with revised government guidance. In addition
leisure boaters with a mooring in the affected area who do not
liveaboard will be unable to visit their boats during this period.
Hire boat bases, which are due to begin operating again from 4 July,
are asked to direct their customers away from the affected area.
Angling and paddle sports have now been suspended on the River
Soar/Grand Union Canal between the locations identified above.
Whilst towpaths in the city will remain open, use of them should be
limited. We are asking people to please stay local, avoid any
stretches with moored boats and strictly observe social distancing at
all times. In particular, cyclists should go slowly and take care
around other users.
During this period of lockdown we will be working to ensure that
vital boater facilities and services are accessible to those that
need them. Work in the city will be focused on those roles which are
critical to the safe management of the waterways, for example
managing water levels, carrying out statutory inspections of canal
structures and ensuring essential facilities for boaters are
available.
All volunteering, including work done by partner groups, in the
affected area is now suspended.
We ask everyone to be considerate during this period of extended
lockdown and to enjoy their local waterway responsibly. Throughout
this crisis waterways have provided an important lifeline and will
continue to do so over the next two weeks as people in Leicester look
for local green open spaces for their daily exercise.
We will be doing whatever we can to support our customers and protect
the waterways so we can return to enjoying them fully when
restrictions can be eased. The situation will be kept under active
review and updates provided in line with the latest Government
guidance.
Stay safe,
Damian
Boating communications manager
--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-***@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
July).

The Usenet: Social media since 1980.
Martin Nicholas
2020-07-03 09:36:15 UTC
Hot off the press:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-3-july-2020
--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-***@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
July).

There is no 'like' button here. If you feel something, please comment.