Find out where you are on the canals
Martin Nicholas
2023-06-03 05:25:53 UTC
From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
location, even with no mobile signal"
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/
--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-***@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
June).

Free Usenet posting accounts are available through:
https://www.eternal-september.org/
John Williamson
2023-06-03 07:15:03 UTC
Post by Martin Nicholas
From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
location, even with no mobile signal"
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/
Reading the advert, it appears that you will need to carry a paper map
with you as well. All it does is convert your GPS location to an OS grid
reference.

If you install Google Maps, you can download a local "tile" and it will
show your location on that tile, albeit on what is basically a road map
which shows the line of the canal. You need a reasonable mobile signal
to wiew the aerial imagery.
.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Martin Nicholas
2023-06-03 08:36:10 UTC
On Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:15:03 +0100
Post by John Williamson
Post by Martin Nicholas
From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
location, even with no mobile signal"
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/
Reading the advert, it appears that you will need to carry a paper
map with you as well. All it does is convert your GPS location to an
OS grid reference.
If you install Google Maps, you can download a local "tile" and it
will show your location on that tile, albeit on what is basically a
road map which shows the line of the canal. You need a reasonable
mobile signal to wiew the aerial imagery.
.
Useful info. for the emergency services when needed, I'd say. I prefer
this to W3W.

Post was prompted by an emergency at Autherley Junction some days ago:
https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/118563-awful-incident-a-autherley-junction-today/page/5/

A slogan-free post for a change.
Chris Green
2023-06-03 09:24:52 UTC
Post by John Williamson
Post by Martin Nicholas
From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
location, even with no mobile signal"
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/
Reading the advert, it appears that you will need to carry a paper map
with you as well. All it does is convert your GPS location to an OS grid
reference.
If you install Google Maps, you can download a local "tile" and it will
show your location on that tile, albeit on what is basically a road map
which shows the line of the canal. You need a reasonable mobile signal
to wiew the aerial imagery.
.
Other satnav apps do this by default in that all of your maps are
downloaded and stored on the 'phone and thus all you ever need is GPS.
I use Here! Wego for this very reason, it rund without any need for
mobilr data (although it will use data if available for traffic
information and such).
--
Chris Green
·
Chris Green
2023-06-03 15:07:38 UTC
Post by Chris Green
Post by John Williamson
Post by Martin Nicholas
From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
location, even with no mobile signal"
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/
Reading the advert, it appears that you will need to carry a paper map
with you as well. All it does is convert your GPS location to an OS grid
reference.
If you install Google Maps, you can download a local "tile" and it will
show your location on that tile, albeit on what is basically a road map
which shows the line of the canal. You need a reasonable mobile signal
to wiew the aerial imagery.
.
Other satnav apps do this by default in that all of your maps are
downloaded and stored on the 'phone and thus all you ever need is GPS.
I use Here! Wego for this very reason, it rund without any need for
mobilr data (although it will use data if available for traffic
information and such).
erk, typos'r'us!

I use Here! Wego for this very reason, it runs without any need for
mobile data (although it will use data if available for traffic
information and such).
--
Chris Green
·