restaurant at Wheelock
Chris
2008-05-25 18:03:38 UTC
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at Wheelock?
Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the area?
Martin
2008-05-25 18:07:18 UTC
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at Wheelock?
Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the area?
I recommend you suck my cheesy penis, it's delicious!
Martin
%
2008-05-25 18:19:14 UTC
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2008-05-25 20:29:00 UTC
"Percy Pervert" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:C4i_j.4931$***@edtnps91...
I recommend you suck my cheesy penis, it's delicious!
Everytime someone types "penis," Percy Pervert appears as if by magic. He
must have a bell that sounds whenever.....

YOUR COLONEL HAS SPOKEN!
Russ H
Pete Stockdale
2008-05-25 22:40:29 UTC
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at
Wheelock? Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the
area?
Sorry - I cannot answer your question about the Wheelock restaurant.
How large is the "area" you speak of ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com
Chris
2008-05-26 15:12:42 UTC
Thanks for the replies.

Nearby "area" probably being an hour or so by canal in either direction and
then walking distance from the canal.

Have attempted to eat twice at the Romping Donkey, once were told we
couldn't eat there if we hadn't booked (despite it being nearly empty) the
other we rang to check when they finished serving food, arrived 40 minutes
before that time and was told they had decided to finish serving early and
it was basically hard luck. Both trips were some time ago but can't say I'm
keen to rush back.

Also tried the lockside restaurant that used to be Bridley's but my husband
wasn't impressed with the portions after having done 25 locks!
www.thecanalshop.com
Pete Stockdale
2008-05-26 15:47:30 UTC
Post by Chris
Thanks for the replies.
Nearby "area" probably being an hour or so by canal in either direction
and then walking distance from the canal.
Sorry - but that rules out my knowledge base which is the Nantwich area.

I can't off hand think of much worth while in the Middlewich area .

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com
Robin Nicholson
2008-05-26 04:00:19 UTC
On Sun, 25 May 2008 19:03:38 +0100, "Chris"
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at Wheelock?
Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the area?
It was closed nearly two years ago - but may have reopened. I would
suggest a meal at the Romping Donkey up at Hassall Green

Zeke
2008-05-26 06:34:10 UTC
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at Wheelock?
Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the area?
it has re-opened as an English style restaurant bu I haven't eaten
there.

Romping Donkey or Lock 57, both eateries at Hassal Green, have good
reputations, but if you are feeling more adventurous, Sandbach has a
number of excellent restaurants, including Italian
Tony Haynes
2008-05-29 13:04:34 UTC
Post by Zeke
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at Wheelock?
Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the area?
it has re-opened as an English style restaurant bu I haven't eaten
there.
Romping Donkey or Lock 57, both eateries at Hassal Green, have good
reputations, but if you are feeling more adventurous, Sandbach has a
number of excellent restaurants, including Italian
The Di Venezia, Canal Wharf, Wheelock, was open when we passed in
March this year.

The Romping Donkey wasn't, due to refurbishment, but I guess that
would be done by now.

After a severe ugly run in with the owner of the canalside Lock 57
restaurant at Hassal Green, over parking, even though we had just
spend over £100 with him, I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone. He
bullies women and the disabled. We bought fuel, but we didn't eat
there. We had a look at the menu, but it was overpriced cheap stuff,
and although the place was almost empty he was reluctant to serve us
because we hadn't booked.

He also blamed boaters for not using his fuel supply (it was 60p per
litre then) and is threatening to withdraw the facility. Either he
hates boaters, or he had a hang-over that day... or maybe the VAT man
had just been.

Useful Post Office though.

Tone
Dave Mayall
2008-06-04 22:54:30 UTC
On Thu, 29 May 2008 06:04:34 -0700 (PDT), Tony Haynes
Post by Tony Haynes
Post by Zeke
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at Wheelock?
Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the area?
it has re-opened as an English style restaurant bu I haven't eaten
there.
Romping Donkey or Lock 57, both eateries at Hassal Green, have good
reputations, but if you are feeling more adventurous, Sandbach has a
number of excellent restaurants, including Italian
The Di Venezia, Canal Wharf, Wheelock, was open when we passed in
March this year.
Sadly not.

The Di Venezia was a great Italian restaurant. The new owners haven't
dealt with all the signage yet.

The new (non-Italian) offering is, frankly, crap.

Dave Mayall
2008-05-26 19:48:01 UTC
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at Wheelock?
Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the area?
It isn't an italian any longer.

Very disappointed, as we thought it an excellent restaurant, and it
has gone VERY downhill since it changed hands.

If looking for a satisfying meal in wheelock, you would be better off
in the pub across the car park, where you will get a far more
appetising meal for less than half the price. It isn't, however
"special occasion" fayre.

For a special meal, I've had good experiences at the Romping Donkey,
but others report it as a flop, so probably too inconsistent.

I can't think of anything special in the area.
Zeke
2008-05-26 22:41:55 UTC
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at Wheelock?
Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the area?
It isn't an italian any longer.
Very disappointed, as we thought it an excellent restaurant, and it
has gone VERY downhill since it changed hands.
If looking for a satisfying meal in wheelock, you would be better off
in the pub across the car park, where you will get a far more
appetising meal for less than half the price. It isn't, however
"special occasion" fayre.
For a special meal, I've had good experiences at the Romping Donkey,
but others report it as a flop, so probably too inconsistent.
I can't think of anything special in the area.
Actually there is somewhere special, but it's a Taxi ride of three or
four miles and certainly not cheap - the magnificent Crewe Hall

http://www.qhotels.co.uk/hotels/crewe-hall-crewe-cheshire/
Will Chapman
2008-05-27 05:51:25 UTC
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at Wheelock?
Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the area?
Sadly the Italian Restaurant is gone. We made a special trip there for my
70th last summer and it had changed hands. The new food was OK but only
after having to send something back (over-cooked steak I think) - the owner
was very good about it.
--
Will Chapman
Help us Save Our Waterways
www.SaveOurWaterways.org/join
Pete Stockdale
2008-05-27 10:02:31 UTC
Post by Will Chapman
Post by Chris
Anyone know if the Italian canalside restaurant is still there at
Wheelock? Or any other recommendations for a birthday meal out in the
area?
Sadly the Italian Restaurant is gone. We made a special trip there for my
70th last summer and it had changed hands. The new food was OK but only
after having to send something back (over-cooked steak I think) - the owner
was very good about it.
If you are in to posh and taxis, there is always Rookery Hall just down my
street.

http://www.handpicked.co.uk/opencms/sites/default/HPH/hotels/rookery_hall/about/index.html

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com
Chris
2008-05-27 17:46:02 UTC
Thanks for all the comments.

Posh isn't really us when we're boating so we will probably try the pub or
taxi to Sandbach depending on how energetic we feel after heartbreak hill.