Shroppie shelf
Les
2008-08-31 12:13:45 UTC
Does anyone know why most of the banks on the Shropshire Union canal
have an underwater shelf sticking out about 6-9 inches?
It seems a bit daft to me as I struggle to stop my boat bumping
against it when mooring and today have purposely chosen a short
stretch of Armco where there is no shelf.
I note that most long term moorers on this canal have small car wheels
and tyres floating in the water to keep them from the bank.
Because the banks in question are all concrete construction I presume
that they are relatively new.

Les
Steve Atty
2008-08-31 14:39:34 UTC
Post by Les
Does anyone know why most of the banks on the Shropshire Union canal
have an underwater shelf sticking out about 6-9 inches?
It seems a bit daft to me as I struggle to stop my boat bumping
against it when mooring and today have purposely chosen a short
stretch of Armco where there is no shelf.
I note that most long term moorers on this canal have small car wheels
and tyres floating in the water to keep them from the bank.
Because the banks in question are all concrete construction I presume
that they are relatively new.
Les
Les

It is annoying - especially when you get to "official" moorings (done
by the Shroppie Canal society) and find that you can't actually get in
to the edge. The moorings at Penderford Bridge being a classic
example!

I think its always been like that in the 30 years we've been boating.
--

CanalPlan Blogs now in Beta Test: http://canalplan.blogdns.com

The email address is currently valid but goes to a spam bucket which doesn't get checked too often
Zeke
2008-08-31 15:37:04 UTC
Post by Les
Does anyone know why most of the banks on the Shropshire Union canal
have an underwater shelf sticking out about 6-9 inches?
It seems a bit daft to me as I struggle to stop my boat bumping
against it when mooring and today have purposely chosen a short
stretch of Armco where there is no shelf.
I note that most long term moorers on this canal have small car wheels
and tyres floating in the water to keep them from the bank.
Because the banks in question are all concrete construction I presume
that they are relatively new.
Les
Whilst we're on the subject - what is the purpose of the paving slabs
installed at an angle on the lower reaches of the Shroppie?
Tiny
2008-08-31 15:54:23 UTC
Post by Zeke
Post by Les
Does anyone know why most of the banks on the Shropshire Union canal
have an underwater shelf sticking out about 6-9 inches?
It seems a bit daft to me as I struggle to stop my boat bumping
against it when mooring and today have purposely chosen a short
stretch of Armco where there is no shelf.
I note that most long term moorers on this canal have small car wheels
and tyres floating in the water to keep them from the bank.
Because the banks in question are all concrete construction I presume
that they are relatively new.
Les
Whilst we're on the subject - what is the purpose of the paving slabs
installed at an angle on the lower reaches of the Shroppie?
The slabs were the 1840s latest in embanking - there is similar on the
North Oxford. For mooring on the ledge you can buy plastic wheels in
some local Chandlers. The ledge is a pain - one assumes it was put
in ? to make sure the water stayed in the canal and didn't breach the
banks - given the canal was built late and so to the latest edge of
technology standards. Hence it's problems with slippages in cuttings
etc. and all the recent piling work that has been done on the major
embankments.
Adrian Stott
2008-09-01 07:26:54 UTC
Post by Tiny
Post by Zeke
Post by Les
[...]
Unfortunately, a similar design was used on the K&A below Bradford not
long ago.

Adrian

.

Adrian Stott
***@unspam.ca
Steve Atty
2008-08-31 16:29:18 UTC
Post by Zeke
Post by Les
Does anyone know why most of the banks on the Shropshire Union canal
have an underwater shelf sticking out about 6-9 inches?
It seems a bit daft to me as I struggle to stop my boat bumping
against it when mooring and today have purposely chosen a short
stretch of Armco where there is no shelf.
I note that most long term moorers on this canal have small car wheels
and tyres floating in the water to keep them from the bank.
Because the banks in question are all concrete construction I presume
that they are relatively new.
Les
Whilst we're on the subject - what is the purpose of the paving slabs
installed at an angle on the lower reaches of the Shroppie?
I think that the'ye put in to make it shallow at the edges on the
embankments which :

a) stops you mooring
b) forces any wash to break early and "flow" along rather than being a
big wave.

Tony Clayton
2008-08-31 21:31:49 UTC
Post by Steve Atty
Post by Zeke
Whilst we're on the subject - what is the purpose of the paving slabs
installed at an angle on the lower reaches of the Shroppie?
I think that the'ye put in to make it shallow at the edges on the
a) stops you mooring
b) forces any wash to break early and "flow" along rather than being a
big wave.
I remember it being installed along Shelmore Embankment in the late 1970's
to reduce wash and protect the very vulnerable embankments.
--
Tony Clayton ***@pem.cam.ac.uk
Coins of the UK : http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
... The characters are confused, the motivations obscure...UKGOVT.
Zeke
2008-08-31 22:24:25 UTC
Post by Tony Clayton
Post by Steve Atty
Post by Zeke
Whilst we're on the subject - what is the purpose of the paving slabs
installed at an angle on the lower reaches of the Shroppie?
I think that the'ye put in to make it shallow at the edges on the
a) stops you mooring
b) forces any wash to break early and "flow" along rather than being a
big wave.
I remember it being installed along Shelmore Embankment in the late 1970's
to reduce wash and protect the very vulnerable embankments.
--
Coins of the UK � � �:http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
... The characters are confused, the motivations obscure...UKGOVT.
That doesn't stand up - on the Shroppie, the sloping paving slabs are
invariably found in places where there is a well-defined concrete
embankment.
Brian from sunny Suffolk
2008-08-31 16:17:46 UTC
Post by Les
Does anyone know why most of the banks on the Shropshire Union canal
have an underwater shelf sticking out about 6-9 inches?
It seems a bit daft to me as I struggle to stop my boat bumping
against it when mooring and today have purposely chosen a short
stretch of Armco where there is no shelf.
I note that most long term moorers on this canal have small car wheels
and tyres floating in the water to keep them from the bank.
I carry two wheel barrow wheels. They are plastic wheels with
inflatable tyres so are very light, a line is attached through the axle
spindle hole. I think they cost me about £12 each
peter bendall
2008-09-20 18:16:56 UTC
Post by Brian from sunny Suffolk
Post by Les
Does anyone know why most of the banks on the Shropshire Union canal
have an underwater shelf sticking out about 6-9 inches?
It seems a bit daft to me as I struggle to stop my boat bumping
against it when mooring and today have purposely chosen a short
stretch of Armco where there is no shelf.
I note that most long term moorers on this canal have small car wheels
and tyres floating in the water to keep them from the bank.
I carry two wheel barrow wheels. They are plastic wheels with
inflatable tyres so are very light, a line is attached through the axle
spindle hole. I think they cost me about £12 each
I thought it was attempt to save water?
The cross section of the canal are such that depth of water will reduce in
times of drought, leaving sufficient depth of water in the main channel.
60% of water is contained in side-wings+main channel.....

The lock keeper / toll clerk at autherley junction explained at 1968 or
thereabouts!
--
peter minus bendall at web point de
http://homepage.schleswig-holstein.de/bendall/