TV engineer
Angela Jefferies
2022-03-14 17:50:21 UTC
Does anyone know of a television engineer who could visit a boat on the Macclesfield Canal, please?
John Williamson
2022-03-14 18:04:18 UTC
Post by Angela Jefferies
Does anyone know of a television engineer who could visit a boat on the Macclesfield Canal, please?
Depending on what the problem is, all they can do nowadays is take it to
the workshop and swap a board to fix it, and that very often costs more
than a new set.

What's the problem?
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Angela Jefferies
Thank you so much for your reply. The boat concerned is a shared boat, and my husband is the Boat Manager. The people who are on the boat this week cannot get the tv to work, but I do;’t know the specific problem.
John Williamson
2022-03-14 18:48:24 UTC
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by John Williamson
Post by Angela Jefferies
Does anyone know of a television engineer who could visit a boat on the Macclesfield Canal, please?
Depending on what the problem is, all they can do nowadays is take it to
the workshop and swap a board to fix it, and that very often costs more
than a new set.
What's the problem?
--
Tciao for Now!
John.
Thank you so much for your reply. The boat concerned is a shared boat, and my husband is the Boat Manager. The people who are on the boat this week cannot get the tv to work, but I do;’t know the specific problem.
The only check I can suggest is "Is the standby light on?", as the
commonest problem is that the power is off at the wall or it has tripped
a breaker.

Either that or the remote control has a flat battery.

Sorry if that's not much help, but the local TV guys want an arm and a
leg to prize them out of the workshop nowadays. If they are passing this
way, I can have a quick look as they pass Longport, but my workshop days
are long gone.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Angela Jefferies
Many thanks John, for your help. Both of these things have been checked, which is why we need an engineer.
Angela Jefferies
2022-03-14 20:00:41 UTC
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by John Williamson
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by John Williamson
Post by Angela Jefferies
[...]
You’re very kind, John. I appreciate your help. At the moment
the boat is at Bosley locks
ChrisND @UKRW
2022-03-15 17:09:50 UTC
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by John Williamson
Post by Angela Jefferies
[...]
Just to be clear, you are absolutely sure there is power reaching the tv
from the socket on the wall (or whatever)?

I spent 30 years as a university electronic engineer (not a tv repair
man as such) but in that time I realised that most electrical problems
were actually mechanical - usually of the 'air gap' variety!

Other common faults were fuses that looked ok but weren't followed by
bad solder joints.

HTH, Chris D
--
http://www.Deuchars.co.uk
Author & Publisher: "A Boaters Guide to BOATING"
Details: http://www.deuchars.co.uk/publication/
Nicholas D. Richards
2022-03-15 20:26:30 UTC
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by John Williamson
[...]
We had a lecturer on a PC maintenance course whose favourite trick was
to turn the contrast and brightness down on a VDU. You would be
surprised how often it caught someone out.

I rather enjoyed it when someone (not guilty, honest) removed the fuse
in the plug to his laptop charger.
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
The Nomad
2022-03-15 20:38:59 UTC
On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 20:26:30 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by John Williamson
[...]
OK, how did you know ... :-)

Avpx
--
A true beanie should have a propellor on the top.
(alt.fan.pratchett)
20:35:01 up 3 days, 9:56, 6 users, load average: 0.25, 0.48, 0.46
Nicholas D. Richards
2022-03-15 22:15:03 UTC
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by Angela Jefferies
Post by John Williamson
[...]
Maybe I was caught out and maybe I was not.
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"